Re: [Monotone-devel] cvs_import failure

From: hendrik
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] cvs_import failure
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2009 17:13:39 -0500

On Wed, Dec 23, 2009 at 08:07:29AM +1100, Daniel Carosone wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 10:02:24PM +0100, Markus Wanner wrote:
> >> If we achieve interoperability with svn, then the cvs2svn code can be
> >> used followed by svn2mtn.
> >
> > ..or modify cvs2git (which is based on cvs2svn) to export to something
> > monotone can parse, instead of git-fast-import format.
> >
> > ..or write a git2mtn that can parse git-fast-import format.
>
> The latter seems to be of the most general utility, given current
> volumes and efforts of other projects (assuming the format contains
> what we need and isn't completely horrible).

Another post indicated that git-fast-import format lacks some structure
that had to be resynthesized in another *2* conversion.  Perhaps that's
not the best format, say I, who at present know nothing about any of
these formats.

> Any volunteers?

I'd like to look at this, possibly next January.  If anyone else would,
please do also.  The more the merrier, at least during design discovery
stage.  What languages are all these *2* programs written in?

IN case I have to tear one apart, are any written in secure, statically
typed languages (whose programs I find easiest to read and debug).

-- hendrik