Re: [Monotone-devel] cvs_import failure

From: Michael Haggerty
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] cvs_import failure
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2009 12:40:46 +0100

Daniel Carosone wrote:
> The latter seems to be of the most general utility, given current
> volumes and efforts of other projects (assuming the format contains
> what we need and isn't completely horrible).

The git-fast-import format is quite good and well-documented [1].

Markus Wanner wrote:
> Note that git has the ability to represent more than two ancestors for a
> merged revision, which monotone does not. Not that it's an often used
> feature, but IIRC cvs2git is one of its users. (I vaguely remember
> discussing these issues with Michael Haggerty, author of cvs2svn. See
> that project's mailing list).

cvs2svn/cvs2git etc. has a setting to limit merges to two parents.  So
this should not be a problem.

address@hidden wrote:
> with all these cvs2* programs around, it might be useful to
> isolate their common core (the cvs part and the 2 part) from the
> * part.
> Incresed modularity.  ANy chance that such factoring would spread to
> the others and overall maintenance costs?

These programs (cvs2svn, cvs2git, cvs2bzr, and cvs2hg) are all part of
the cvs2svn project [2] and share 90% of their code (namely the hard
part, which is figuring out the CVS history).

Michael

[1] http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/git-fast-import.html
[2] http://cvs2svn.tigris.org/