[Monotone-devel] Re: cvs_import failure

From: Hendrik Boom
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: cvs_import failure
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2009 02:50:17 +0000 (UTC)

On Mon, 28 Dec 2009 12:40:46 +0100, Michael Haggerty wrote:

> Daniel Carosone wrote:
>> The latter seems to be of the most general utility, given current
>> volumes and efforts of other projects (assuming the format contains
>> what we need and isn't completely horrible).
>
> The git-fast-import format is quite good and well-documented [1].
>
> Markus Wanner wrote:
>> Note that git has the ability to represent more than two ancestors for
>> a merged revision, which monotone does not. Not that it's an often used
>> feature, but IIRC cvs2git is one of its users. (I vaguely remember
>> discussing these issues with Michael Haggerty, author of cvs2svn. See
>> that project's mailing list).
>
> cvs2svn/cvs2git etc. has a setting to limit merges to two parents.  So
> this should not be a problem.
>
> address@hidden wrote:
>> with all these cvs2* programs around, it might be useful to isolate
>> their common core (the cvs part and the 2 part) from the * part.
>> Incresed modularity.  ANy chance that such factoring would spread to
>> the others and overall maintenance costs?
>
> These programs (cvs2svn, cvs2git, cvs2bzr, and cvs2hg) are all part of
> the cvs2svn project [2] and share 90% of their code (namely the hard
> part, which is figuring out the CVS history).

Then this set of programs looks like one good place to start.  Are they
each one-shot conversions, or can they update the target repository if
things are still being checked into the CVS repository?  One thing I.m
cinvinced of is that not everyone will be ready to check in their works-
in-progress simultaneously.

First step would seem to be to look at those two references.

> Michael
>
> [1] http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/git-fast-import.html
> [2] http://cvs2svn.tigris.org/

Aha!  Isn't tigris.org the place to find software that automatically
chops big test cases into small ones?

-- hendrik

P.S.  Reply to the mailing list, not to me;  my email is down at the
moment, and I'm reading this via usenet and gmane,