graphical mail reader for one-off use

From: Paul Fox
Subject: graphical mail reader for one-off use
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2023 09:16:06 -0400

Once in a while my wife or I (both MH users) get an email that really
can't be handled directly by MH.  Today's example looks like this:

$ mhlist
 msg part  type/subtype              size description
115453       multipart/related          28K
     1     multipart/alternative      19K
     1.1   text/html                  14K
     1.2   text/plain                5092
     2     image/jpeg                3898 image001.jpg
     3     image/jpeg                2239 image002.jpg

Part 1.1 and 1.2 are the usual html/text versions of the main message.
The html version was generated by Microsoft Word 15, in very complicated
(to my simple eyes) html.  Showing it as text loses a lot of context.  Once
you know what you're looking for (the one valuable link in the entire
message!) it's there, but finding it by reading parts 1.1 or 1.2 is difficult.
Also, that html references the images in parts 2 and 3 via
content-id:
    src="cid:image001.jpg@01D9B55C.CFA9CA10"

so just saving part 1 to a file and pointing a browser at it doesn't get
you a full view of the page -- it's missing the images.  (Which
aren't very important images, but they leave a viewing gap, and you're
not sure what you're missing.)  Plus, saving the html part and pointing
the browser at it is a cumbersome operation.

For these (relatively rare, thankfully, for us) cases, I'd love to be
able to take an entire message, as received and saved by MH, and look
at it with a modern reader (Thunderbird/Evolution/whatever).  I'd
rather not have to forward or dist the mail to a separate account
(which can easily add another layer of wrapper to the mail -- I'd love
to do:

    $ modern-mail-reader $(mhpath cur)

and have it pop up a window on the message.

Is this a practical wish?

paul
 paul fox, pgf@foxharp.boston.ma.us (arlington, ma, where it's 77.6 degrees)