Re: graphical mail reader for one-off use

From: Ken Hornstein
Subject: Re: graphical mail reader for one-off use
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2023 09:34:14 -0400

>Once in a while my wife or I (both MH users) get an email that really
>can't be handled directly by MH.  Today's example looks like this:
>[...]

I hear you, dude (I also have a wife that is a nmh user as well; go
figure.  I wonder how many dual-MH households there are?)

>    $ modern-mail-reader $(mhpath cur)
>
>and have it pop up a window on the message.
>
>Is this a practical wish?

Well, I just tried this (I am on MacOS X):

% cp `mhpath cur` /tmp/foo.eml
% /Applications/Thunderbird.app/Contents/MacOS/thunderbird -file /tmp/foo.eml

And ... it seemed to do what you want!  (I chose a message with embedded
images and they were displayed correctly).  I did the copy with the filename
extension because MacOS X really really wants to use filename extensions
as the identifier for a file type, and just doing "-file `mhpath cur`"
didn't work; I took a guess on the ".eml" extension and it seemed to
be correct.  So I think this is a reasonable option.

BTW, I do use w3m as a text-based HTML viewer and I set the option
"display_link_number" so I can find the link in a message and then
copy and paste it to a web browser, so that works for a message where
I just need to find one link.

--Ken