Re: graphical mail reader for one-off use

From: Ken Hornstein
Subject: Re: graphical mail reader for one-off use
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2023 10:50:27 -0400

>To answer my own question, mhshow can be customized to use the user's
>preferred mail reader.  Ken mentioned w3m with display_link_number.  I
>use firefox, I find that its performance on a modern machine with an SSD
>drive is adequate.

I think a BIG problem with this is that doesn't get you the "complete"
message.  The main issue here is embedded images with Content-ID URLs;
in _theory_ I suppose you could write out the embedded images as files
and rewrite the HTML content to point to those local files, but that
just seems fraught and fragile.  Another issue I personally run into is
I occasonally get S/MIME messages I have to decrypt and that basically
needs the whole message as well (in a perfect world nmh would handle
those natively and that is on my list, but that list is long and sadly I
don't have the time right now to work on that list).  I know that many
times just viewing the HTML content sans images is sufficient, but I've
certainly run into situations where it isn't.

--Ken