Re: graphical mail reader for one-off use

From: Michael Richardson
Subject: Re: graphical mail reader for one-off use
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2023 11:50:17 -0400

Paul Fox <pgf@foxharp.boston.ma.us> wrote:
    > Once in a while my wife or I (both MH users) get an email that really
    > can't be handled directly by MH.  Today's example looks like this:

Me too.

    > For these (relatively rare, thankfully, for us) cases, I'd love to be
    > able to take an entire message, as received and saved by MH, and look
    > at it with a modern reader (Thunderbird/Evolution/whatever).  I'd
    > rather not have to forward or dist the mail to a separate account
    > (which can easily add another layer of wrapper to the mail -- I'd love
    > to do:

My holy grail solution for this (mostly driven by calendaring) is that I'd
really like a local IMAP server on top of my ~/Mail/inbox.  That would be my
ideal.
(While I have a variety of IMAP capable sources, and I point my phone at some
of them, I don't keep email on the server)

I keep thinking I'll ffi wrap our libnmh library for use in GO or Rust, as
there are a few nice IMAP servers written in these modern languages, but I
doubt I'll ever get this.   My ability to get into code writing focus has
rapidly declined, and I'm really frustrated by this.

    >     $ modern-mail-reader $(mhpath cur)

    > and have it pop up a window on the message.
    > Is this a practical wish?

packf to produce an MBOX, and then let Thunderbird see that as your inbox for
local Unix "movemail", but I don't really have that automated.