Re: graphical mail reader for one-off use

From: David Levine
Subject: Re: graphical mail reader for one-off use
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2023 10:38:06 -0400

Paul wrote:

> david wrote:
>  > Paul wrote:
>  >
>  > > My working bash snippet (trimmed to remove some extraneous local
> oddities).
>  >
>  > Just curious:  does mhshow(1) do want you want, assuming you don't
>  > use it to read all of your messages?
>
> I'm not sure of the context of your question.

I apologize, I should have provided that.  When I read your original message,
my first thought was "what's missing from nmh so Paul can view a message with a
modern graphical reader?"

To answer my own question, mhshow can be customized to use the user's preferred
mail reader.  Ken mentioned w3m with display_link_number.  I use firefox, I
find that its performance on a modern machine with an SSD drive is adequate.

mhshow can be coaxed to use some of your thunderbird wrapper script with a
profile entry such as:

    mhshow-show-text/html: cp $(mhpath cur) /tmp/$(whoami)-message.eml &&
thunderbird -file /tmp/$(whoami)-message.eml

Of course, all user preference.

David