Re: graphical mail reader for one-off use

From: Bakul Shah
Subject: Re: graphical mail reader for one-off use
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2023 07:52:07 -0700

On Jul 13, 2023, at 6:34 AM, Ken Hornstein <kenh@pobox.com> wrote:

> % cp `mhpath cur` /tmp/foo.eml
> % /Applications/Thunderbird.app/Contents/MacOS/thunderbird -file /tmp/foo.eml
>
> And ... it seemed to do what you want!  (I chose a message with embedded
> images and they were displayed correctly).  I did the copy with the filename
> extension because MacOS X really really wants to use filename extensions
> as the identifier for a file type, and just doing "-file `mhpath cur`"
> didn't work; I took a guess on the ".eml" extension and it seemed to
> be correct.  So I think this is a reasonable option.

You can use
$ open -a seamonkey `mhpath cur`

It opens it as a text file. The .eml extension is required
to show text/thml. But with .eml extension you can just do

$ open foo.eml

and it will open in your default MUA. i.e. Apple Mail.
If you haven't configured it, I don't know if it will
work but it *should* work (not that I have tested this).