Re: Calendaring?

From: Conrad Hughes
Subject: Re: Calendaring?
Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2023 16:55:43 +0000

Doug> Is there a
Doug> calendaring program that uses a similar structure to nmh behind the
Doug> scenes? If one doesn't exist, I might have to make one of my own.

The closest thing I can think of offhand would be a DAV server (which
will deal with CalDAV, CardDAV, etc. for calendar, contacts and,
somewhere in there (I haven't used them), checklists); some
implementations store their data in databases, others on a flat file
system, which you can then expose.  However the one I used previously on
a Synology NAS was not super friendly to work with: you could grep and
edit the files, but because they were all in iCal format (IIRC) the
editing wasn't fun, and the names were bonkers (basically whatever the
particular client app that created them came up with).  Obviously the
advantage though is that DAV will easily integrate into more usable
stuff such as your 'phone or other annoying GUI-based apps.  I imagine
that a command-line CalDAV client *could* exist.

One thing to bear in mind is that it is almost impossible to get Windows
to speak to a privately-run CalDAV server, even though it will happily
converse with one run by big tech: onward the imperium corporatum etc.

Conrad