om-synth

Re: [Om-synth] Om-synth controlled by Java

From: Dave Robillard
Subject: Re: [Om-synth] Om-synth controlled by Java
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 22:10:24 -0500

On Tue, 2006-14-03 at 10:33 +0000, Ross Clement wrote:
> Hi. How hard would it be to control the om-synth engine from a Java
> client. I haven't done much with OSC, and hence don't know exactly what
> can be done via that route. In short, can you build synth architectures
> from Java and then make them play music? I have met people driving the
> Supercollider engine from Perl, and they seemed to be able to do quite a
> lot, though I didn't ask them exactly what they did and how.

It would be exactly as hard as it is to send OSC messages from Java.

Absolutely 100% of engine control done by om_gtk (and any of the other
clients) is done by sending OSC messages.  Anything om_gtk (or any of
the other clients) can do, you can do from anything that can send OSC
messages (this is one of the fundamental design principles of Om).

In the CVS tree there's bindings for Python and Supercollider, I've
controlled Om from Pd on a few occasions, etc, etc.

If you "make doc" in the top level source directory, you'll get
comprehensive documentation of all the OSC commands you need to do
anything (doc/html/index.html and go to Related Pages)

There are also versions on the website but they're outdated and don't
apply to CVS anymore....

Have fun,

-DR-