om-synth

Re: [Om-synth] Re: Om-synth controlled by Java

From: Ross Clement
Subject: Re: [Om-synth] Re: Om-synth controlled by Java
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 10:48:02 +0000

On Tue, 2006-03-14 at 23:49 +1100, Loki Davison wrote:
> http://web.onetel.net.uk/~hibou/Why%20Java%20is%20Not%20My%20Favourite%20Programming%20Language.html
> If you are a perl programmer try doing it in perl.

PS: I did look at this page, or at least the list of points at the top,
and I don't agree with the author. I can see why people would have the
opinions listed on this page, and many of them make sense for "quick
hack" programming. But for many types of larger scale programming
projects, I believe that

E.g. Perl is often criticised as being a "write only" language, i.e.
unreadable. When I taught Perl (in unis) I taught "readable perl" as a
programming style, but even then, when code is to be re-used and shared
extensively, I don't think that the object orientated facilities in Perl
are of high enough quality. OK, there are some quick tricks you can do
when you can add or remove methods from a class dynamically, but I think
the gain is outweighed, in large projects, but the maintainability and
re-usability pain. Same for multiple inheritance.

I think that the main problem with Java is that Sun isn't maintaining it
properly. For example the java media framework does not work
sufficiently well for real use, and since Java is not open source it
can't be fixed by "the community".

Cheers,

Ross-c