om-synth

[Om-synth] Re: Om-synth controlled by Java

From: Loki Davison
Subject: [Om-synth] Re: Om-synth controlled by Java
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 02:46:39 +1100

On 3/15/06, Ross Clement <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-03-14 at 23:49 +1100, Loki Davison wrote:
> >
> http://web.onetel.net.uk/~hibou/Why%20Java%20is%20Not%20My%20Favourite%20Programming%20Language.html
> > If you are a perl programmer try doing it in perl.
>
> PS: I did look at this page, or at least the list of points at the top,
> and I don't agree with the author. I can see why people would have the
> opinions listed on this page, and many of them make sense for "quick
> hack" programming. But for many types of larger scale programming
> projects, I believe that

Quick hacks projects by Edsger Dijkstra or Stepanov? The STL seems to
have been quite a long term and on going project, so i think Stepanov
probably has enough experience to speak on that.

He states:

"It keeps all the stuff that I never use in C++ - inheritance,
virtuals - OO gook - and removes the stuff that I find useful. It
might be successful - after all, MS DOS was - and it might be a
profitable thing for all your readers to learn Java, but it has no
intellectual value whatsoever."

Python is far better in every way shape and form for large projects
than java. Java is for when you want to make easy stuff look difficult
so you look like you are working. C in my opinion is also superior to
java when using a good lib like glib. Have you tried looking at a
stack trace of a large java program when debugging? I have... mmm.
Name me a large project you have used written in java? One?
Editors/browsers/media players/games? Harder than naming 50 in c or
c++ or even python isn't it? The new civilisation is written in python
btw.

Java has one huge plus side. It's heavily advertised by sun and
current very easy to get job in j2ee stuff. I'm currently looking for
work and there are 1000 of java/c#/vb positions to every python or c
position.  However the java share of the java/c#/vb stuff seems to be
rapidly declining with C# being the next big thing.

If you can actually think of a plus of java apart from this i'd love
to know. Maybe i'd look at those kind of jobs differently.

Loki