palito-dev

Re: [palito-dev] new user. some questions... some answers.

From: Tom Barnes-Lawrence
Subject: Re: [palito-dev] new user. some questions... some answers.
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2003 06:26:28 +0100

Hi Alan,
On Mon, Jul 07, 2003 at 09:13:15PM -0400, Alan Bort wrote:

> willing to help with the developmente of palito in any way I can. About
> the graphics... well, I think that if you use DirectX or similar on
> other OS's you could simply extract the graphics from the Totala's packs
> and use them... I think they are not copyrighted...

I'm not really one of the developers here, but I thought I ought to
make a couple of points on this:

-You do realise that Palito isn't meant to be an actual *clone* of Total
 Annihilation, right?

-AFAICT, the engine is supposed to be mostly like Totala, but not exactly
 the same. But the default units aren't supposed to be the same at all.
 As the units aren't hardcoded, they could be changed to make it play
 like Totala, but that'd be as an *alternative* set of units.

-DirectX is only for windows, and to have different graphics for each
 platform would be pretty bad. Plus, I don't think extracting Totala's
 graphics would be as easy as you make out.

-Some of the units may have been freely downloadable, but I'll bet
 they're still copyrighted anyway.

 Besides that, I personally quite like Palito's "Flush" driven graphics.
They're quite neat, in a way, even though that library still needs a
bit of work. But right now, Barrett says he's reworking the game to
support client-server networking, which I think is prolly the most
important step right now!

 Tomble