sketch-devel

Re: GUI design of 0.7

From: Pieter Edelman
Subject: Re: GUI design of 0.7
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 18:56:52 +0100

On Wednesday 10 November 2004 21:55, Joel Biddier wrote:
> Pieter Edelman wrote:
> > I know this from my own
> >experience with the brightness/contrast and colorizer script, that's why
> > you can toggle the auto-preview of.
> >For me, this is probably the best (or the least bad) middle-ground: let
> > the user choose whether instant or manual update (preview) is wanted.
>
> Yes, I think CorelDraw  had such a feature. There was an "auto update"
> and a "manual update" toggle on the drop menu.
> When you used "manual update" your canvas view could get pretty  nasty.
> You could then use a short-cut key (or drop menu) to redraw the image.
> Skencil 0.6 has a redraw, but It is not often used.
>
> --J

That's not what I meant. The discussion was about an "apply"-button on effect
dialogs (at least this is what I thought). When you are applying an effect,
you can choose to update the image after every parameter change (autoupdate)
or only when you press the "apply" button in the dialog (manual update).
Apparently the gnome HIG says that there shouldn't be an "apply" button, I'm
making a case that there actually should be one (as Christof Ecker already
mentioned).
Automatic redrawing should always take place when the "Ok" button on the
dialog is pressed. Manual redrawing in this case makes no sense.

Pieter

--
Like science? Like cartoons? Wicked...
http://funnybynature.com/