sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] Request: Install an efficient robots.txt file

From: Paul M Furley
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] Request: Install an efficient robots.txt file
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2017 15:10:12 +0100

Hi RTF,

Thanks for your polite and reasonable request!

On 20/06/17 09:35, robots.txt fan wrote:
> Dear Sirs and Madams,
>
> I would like to thank all of you for doing this. You are a necessary
> pillar to PGP and it is awesome that you are there to provide the
> infrastructure to host everyone's key.
>
> Without attempting to diminish the previous sentence, I have a request
> to make to some of you.
>
> Most of the SKS serve an efficient robots.txt that prevents everyone's
> un-deletable name and email showing up on search engines.

It seems this is the default behaviour, at least when instaled from the
debian package.

It's always useful to hear from a real PGP user for whom this is a real
concern.

> However, there
> are some exceptions. I like to keep a low profile, but when searching
> for my name, for example on Google, a significant amount of results are
> from SKS pages, or to be more specific, these:
>
> keyserver.nausch.org
> pgp.net.nz
> pgp.circl.lu
> keyserver.rayservers.com
> sks-keyservers.net
> keyserver.mattrude.com (special case: blocks /pks, but not /search, a
> non-standard (?) directory)
>
> I would like to ask the owners of these pages to take the time to
> install an efficient robots.txt file, for example something like this:

> Disallow: /pks/
>
> To all others, I would like to ask you to take the time to check if your
> server serves an efficient robots.txt file, and if it does not, to
> please install one.
>
> If there is any doubt that a robots.txt file is a good idea, I can
> elaborate on that.
>
> Thank you for your time.
>
> RTF

My personal priority for the PGP ecosystem is to ensure a pleasant,
unsurprising and privacy respecting experience for all PGP users.

Since you've taken the time to email this list, I assume this is a
reasonably serious issue for you.

We should all be worried about anything that negatively affects the
overall experience of using PGP.

I also support your right to use PGP without publishing your public key.
It's not uncommon for users to have both published and non-published
keys, and we're here to support PGP users, so I'm behind you.

Probably too late now, but you might consider omitting your name
entirely on your key - it's optional. You don't even need an email
address, although that makes life a little tricky for your contacts ;)

Paul