[Xlog-discussion] Multiple log quicky (0.6 beta 3)

From: Bryn Joynes
Subject: [Xlog-discussion] Multiple log quicky (0.6 beta 3)
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 15:54:52 -0600

Hi Joop,

I think you are very close to the ultimate logging program.  Everything is
relative when it comes to what is ultimate.  Xlog, with a little more
tweaking will be the greatest logging program for Linux.

The reason why I think this are:
Xlog is not dependent on setting up MySQL or other databases.  The data is
stored in readable form so we can use command line functions like grep etc..
We could always read the data files into MySQL at a later date.  The
interface is clean, and simple.  It stores the basic information, and is very
flexable.  It is easily installed with no "./configure", "make" or "make
install" errors.  The RPM package set itself up very nicely under X.

I have looked at a lot of logging programs for Linux. I have also written my
own logging and contest programs under Windows VB.  I started a logging
program under Linux with Kylix but did not get very far.  Xlog by far is the
logging program of choice for a large number of people I believe.

The following along with  Stephane's suggestions I think would make Xlog a
version 1.0

1) Dupe checking.
2) Open and close logs as needed.
3) Easier clear of entries, such as a clear button.
4) Correct the PageUp PageDn crash
5) Stephane has some suggestions that he needs for French regulations.

The above is what I think you only need to do, unless anyone else has any
suggestions, or can see a flaw in my logic to have a Xlog 1.0.

There are a lot of other things I would love to see, but with the above
suggestions implemented, I will start using this as my primary logging
program.  The things I would love to see, are not going to restrict me from
using this program if they are not present.

Best Regards as always,

Bryn
N4VM

P.S. Every release you make is the ultimate logging program.....