Re: [Xlog-discussion] xlog-0.9 released

From: w9ya
Subject: Re: [Xlog-discussion] xlog-0.9 released
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 08:25:52 -0500

On Friday 14 November 2003 07:15 am, Nate Bargmann wrote:
> * Stephane Fillod <address@hidden> [2003 Nov 12 16:49 -0600]:
> > You're quite right Bob. Xlog flexible format has been designed to
> > achieved just this. And using sort(1), cut(1), uniq(1), awk(1), etc.
> > should cover most needs.
> >
> > If anyone doesn't see how, just ask for real cases, and we'll
> > contribute scripts to do it. Then these scripts may be included in
> > the future xlog release.
>
> I'll admit up front to not ever having a good background in these
> classic UNIX tools.  Some example script(s) would help me learn them,
> that's for sure.  I would like to see an example that sorts by date and
> then time--oldest QSO at the beginning of the file to most recent QSO at
> the end.
>
> As for an embedded DB, I would like to see the current flat file
> supported and perhaps an SQLite option, if Joop is so inclined.  The
> SQLite option would probably be considered experimental for a while.  I
> can see advantages for each storage medium.

Well, since I brought this up, let me try asking this another way; Why embed a
db if you don't need to to get the same information ? I worry about adding
any db when it isn't needed as it takes away from the simplicity I find
valuable in GOOD software that is well written.

Or put another way, can you give me an example of how this rdbms is to be
used, and to what end (purpose), that I cannot also do without using a
rdbms ? i.e. What is missing from what we already have ?

On a lighter note, I am going to be out of town at the Ft. Wayne (Indiana)
Hamfest starting later today. I won't be able to resume reading my mail for a
few days unless I don't decide to sleep. So have fun discussing this.

Vy 73;

Bob Finch
w9ya