ac-archive-maintainers

Re: multiple categories

From: Peter Simons
Subject: Re: multiple categories
Date: 29 Jan 2003 16:15:48 +0100

Guido Draheim writes:

 > would you please now go to sfnet and have a look? The frontpage
 > contains the main categories and it does not list any macro twice.

At the moment, I don't worry about the _presentation_ of the archive's
contents. All I worry about is:

    Do we NEED to put a macro into more than one category?

I agree it would have benefits, but I also think it will make the
whole system more complex to maintain and more difficult to get right
for the submitters. Given these disadvantages, I am not convinced it
is worth the effort.

 > The per-category indexes lists only the macros in that category
 > plus handful extra [...].

If we decide to place macros into more than one category, I am sure we
can find a way to present them in a sensible way. I worry exclusively
about the added complexity and the benefits we gain from it, and so
far I conclude that I would rather spend the time working on the
_macros_ than on the infrastructure.

 >> > The sfnet branch is shipping an `acinclude` copy of all the m4
 >> > macros, and it is not a good idea to put them all into _one_
 >> > directory.

 >> Why not?

 > [...]

I feel your answer didn't really address the question ... _Why_ is it
not a good idea to put all the macros in one directory?

Peter