ac-archive-maintainers

Re: multiple categories

From: Guido Draheim
Subject: Re: multiple categories
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 08:22:43 +0100

Peter Simons schrieb:
Guido Draheim writes:

 > (a) I do think that pretty soon the autoconf macro archive will be
 >      filled with lots and lots of specific macros. It is not good to
 >      have them presented on a single page and to expect people to
 >      scroll the screen and to read _all_ names and check if they
 >      apply to his problem.

But putting macros into multiple categories will make the list of
macros in each category _longer_, not shorter?

sure - but just _that_ category.

I see your point and I agree that finding macros in the archive might
be problematic. But putting macros into multiple categories IMHO won't
help that. Using a more fine-grained category system would.

Having learned from the Word Wide Web, we should drop the whole
category business anyway and just provide a good search engine. :-)

sure. but we do not have that much categories, and probably do not
_want_ to have too many anyway since it is best to make the whole
ac-archive "browsable" - so that some bored people can have a look
of whats cute in some categories that have intested in.

 >      For example, an obsoleted macro might only exist in the main
 >      index page in the section `obsoleted` but an index page about
 >      `cxx` could still list it but with an extra visual marker
 >      saying `obsoleted` [...]

Isn't prominently listing obsolete macros completely against the point
of making them obsolete in the first place? They don't become obsolete
for nothing. They do only when they have been replaced (in which case
you should use the new one) or when they're known to not work (in
which case you should not use it at all).

not quite. Say that someone says "pick up macro xx from ac-archive's
c support", how does that turn out? Same thing for links into the
ac-archive from somewhere else - the macro should persist for some
time in its original place.

 >      @category Installed Packages, obsoleted

I'd like to postpone that point until we got the point of having
multiple categories per macro at all, OK? If we decide to go for it,
I'll come back to this.

well - let's make that verrry obvious: I have been hacking up the
sfnet gendoc script to do what I want:
(a) the frontpage macro list does only contain gnu macros
     - no user macros
     - no obsoleted macros
    that's almost acceptable in length.
(b) each category macro list contains
     - the macros from that category, first
     - any extra/experimental macros in that ought to be in this
           (including in-review or deferred macros?)
     - hints on obsoleted macros.
    each page is again of acceptable length.

in the example sfnet screen, look for "Installed Packages"
which does now:
(1) list all main macros
(2) extra macros from user directories
(3) obsoleted main macros
  see how (2) references "sf.net/user/macroname.html"
  while (3) still references "sf.net/category/macroname.html"
  i.e. the original file `just obsoleted` persists in the same
  place (!!) until it is "deleted".

-- cheers, guido