ac-archive-maintainers

Re: multiple categories

From: Guido Draheim
Subject: Re: multiple categories
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 16:04:45 +0100

Peter Simons schrieb:
Guido Draheim writes:

 > [...] the macro name does not carry all [...]

That is why I introduced the short description, which authors can use
in case the macro name is not expressive enough. Also, a search engine
would find the keyword in the documentation as well.

 > [...] the macro names have lots of recurring bits that make the
 > table very long in kilobytes

As of now, the macro index page is 18 kilobytes large, and I expect it
to shrink once we went through the current contents. I don't think
that the size of the HTML document is really an issue, given that most
web sites carry megabytes worth of images, while we provide 18
kilobytes of actual content.

indeed - kilobytes was the wrong term, it's more a matter of the
number of pages that one will scroll up and down *sigh* sorry,
got that wrong...

Besides, putting macros into multiple categories will make the pages
_larger_, not smaller.

would you please now go to sfnet and have a look? The frontpage
contains the main categories and it does not list any macro
twice. The per-category indexes lists only the macros in that
category plus handful extra, nothing really fat that could
eat away the intended gain. The extra macros are named under
the main section header from where they have migrated. Very
simple thing.

 > let [the browser's full-text search] better work on an index-list
 > that [contains] just the possible keys to search for, pre-ordered
 > in fact to navigate quickly to it, and with an inverted-index of
 > possible matches in the macros.

Uh, don't you think that you're aiming for a bit too much? We're
providing a bunch of Autoconf macros for download ... What you
describe above would probably win us the Librarian's Nobel Prize. I
don't mind making a cool site with advanced technology and all, but
IMHO would should rather spend our time putting good _macros_ into it,
then working on bleeding-edge presentation.

inverted index is easy. technique's a few decades old.

I'd like to reiterate on the lessons learned from the World Wide Web:
_Nobody_ cares about Yahoo these days, no matter how sophisticated
their category system is. Everybody uses a search engine to find
content. If we get a good search engine up and running, we'll have
done more for the users than we possible could by enhancing the
category system.

a search engine builds on top of an inverted index plus some
weighting rules. If the index is out-of-date or the weighting
rules stupid then the result will not be pleasing.

inverted index and yahoo directory is not similar.

 > [...] the frontpage of sfnet has gotten too long to my taste [...].
 > I do expect the same thing to happen with the gnu ac-archive in the
 > near future. Since it is not the case _now_, it makes you not have
 > that wish..... yet.

This is obviously a matter of personal taste. I personally do never
break pages up when they logically belong on one page -- just see
<http://cryp.to/> for a somewhat extreme example -- and I have never
ever received a single complaint about this practice.

Let's say that 80 macros (of the 220 we have now) survive the review
process, then this whole problem will be virtually non-existent. And
given the rate of growth the archive had in the past few years, which
will be considerably slower with the new policy, we won't have to
worry about this for next two or three years either!

Prepare to be boarded. Resistance is futile. See here:
http://ac-archive.sf.net/guidod/ac_cflags_check.html
http://ac-archive.sf.net/guidod/ax_cflags_no_writable_strings.html

I agree that putting a lot of effort into this issue is a good thing.
But I doubt it is worthwhile.

[...]
 > The sfnet branch is shipping an `acinclude` copy of all the m4
 > macros, and it is not a good idea to put them all into _one_
 > directory.

Why not?

As far as I can tell, this is actually necessary for "aclocal" to be
able to find them.

`acinclude` works differently. Partly out of the fact that there were
too many macros in that single aclocal directly - the `aclocal`
base command works on top of a few dozen files in a regular case,
stuffing a few hundred into that area makes it hardly maintainable.
Instead, subdirectories are used, and it is okay to symlink some
site-local directories as well additionally with those from the
gnu ac-archive or the extra parts of sfnet one. Each subdirectory
can be browsed with a pure cd/ls set (or mc).