Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Version numbers...

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Version numbers...
Date: Mon, 09 May 2005 14:53:12 +0200

* David Kastrup (2005-05-09) writes:

> Ralf Angeli <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> * David Kastrup (2005-05-09) writes:
>>
>>> After thinking this over, I have decided that the sanest course is
>>> to release "standalone" versions of preview-latex with the version
>>> numbers from AUCTeX.  It makes clear what versions belong together
>>> and are more up-to-date than whatever else.  It also means that
>>> version 0.9.2 will not be released at all, but rather be 11.80.
[...]
>> If you don't provide tarballs, what exactly is a "standalone"
>> release of preview-latex then?
>
> Who is talking about standalone releases?

Uh, you?  At least that's how I understood the phrase »to release
"standalone" versions of preview-latex« in the paragraph quoted above.

>>> Another thing I am wondering about is FAQ/README/INSTALL/whatever
>>> for preview-latex.  Take a look at the current distribution
>>> directory on ftp.gnu.org.  What is the most sensible place/naming
>>> for them?
>>
>> I'd set up a separate directory for each AUCTeX or prevew-latex
>> release.  The main directory is already too crowded.
>
> Uh, we already have a separate directory for extra stuff related to
> separate releases.

Which does not make finding stuff related to a certain release
significantly easier in my opinion.  It's a step into the right
direction but does not go far enough.

> The main tarballs are different though: pretty
> much every project on ftp.gnu.org distributes them from the main
> directory.

There are also projects which put the files into subdirectories when
the top directory tends to get overcrowded.  gcc may serve as a
prominent example.