Re: [AUCTeX-devel] [ELPA-diffs] /srv/bzr/emacs/elpa r312: Update AUCTeX

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] [ELPA-diffs] /srv/bzr/emacs/elpa r312: Update AUCTeX ELPA package to the new 11.87 release.
Date: Sun, 09 Dec 2012 17:15:30 +0900

Uwe Brauer writes:
 > >> On Thu, 06 Dec 2012 10:25:29 +0900, "Stephen J. Turnbull"
 > >> <address@hidden> wrote:
 >

 > I still feel it is a waste of resources to a extend that the auctex
 > team has developed its own Makefile to generate a xemacs pkg, and
 > we cannot use it!

For what value of "we"?  *You* can use it in your personal
environment, and if it works for you, great.  I have no objection to
third parties taking short cuts.  But we can't, because Emacs Lisp
doesn't have packages, it only has features, which aren't versioned.

The point of the XEmacs package build system is that packages we
*distribute* are built in a controlled, consistent environment.  Then
we can take responsibility for the bugs.  The only reasonable way to
guarantee a consistent environment in Emacs Lisp is to build with a
specific version of the byte compiler (21.4 -- AFAIK it hasn't changed
since 21.4.0) and a specific checkout of Lisp libraries.  Full stop,
end of story.  GNU Emacs achieves this by simply distributing the
World with Emacs.  We don't want to do that.

In practice, of course, there are slight variations possible for the
interim releases, but they get re-synched with every SUMO release.