Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Implementing TeX-update

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Implementing TeX-update
Date: Wed, 02 Sep 2015 07:58:49 +0200

Mosè Giordano <address@hidden> writes:

>> Well, what's missing is that the region file needs to be updated
>> before doing that but I don't have time to do that.
>
> Uhm, I'll try to have a look at this, but I don't know when.

I think we should extract the `TeX-region-create' call in
`TeX-command-region' into a separate function `TeX-update-region-file'
(oh, another update).  This could then be used by `TeX-command-region',
`LaTeX-command-section', and their TeX-update counterparts.

>> Too bad the bindings for the only two better terms I can come up,
>> i.e., _c_ompile and _r_ecompile, are already taken for _c_ommand and
>> _r_egion...
>
> Indeed we're running out of letters.  Letters still free should be:
>
>     a (u) x y
>
> Actually I'm not sure about "x".

Hm, indeed.  When typing `C-c C-x' emacs seems to wait for another key,
but `C-c C-x <f1>' says that there are not keys defined with that
prefix.  Looks like that bindings points to some empty keymap?

> Do you have ideas for "a" or "y"?

I like Ivan's suggestions.  Basically, the command is something like
"make all", so how about either `TeX-make-all', `TeX-execute-all',
`TeX-command-all', or `TeX-compile-all'?  The binding C-c C-a would make
sense for all of them.

I'm not sure which name is best, though.  `TeX-command-all' has the nice
property that then all processing commands have the TeX-command prefix.
So maybe `TeX-command-compile-all' would be best compromise
wrt. discoverability, descriptiveness, and mnemonics.