Re: [avrdude-dev] BETA Release is now available - please test (was: Good

From: Colin O'Flynn
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] BETA Release is now available - please test (was: Good news: STK500v2 and JTAG ICE mkII code committed to CVS)
Date: Sat, 14 May 2005 19:32:06 -0400

Hello,

> I think there is some trepidation with the "safe-mode" fuse bit
> changes.  We have several reports of it erroneously changing fuses on
> exit because of a bad read of fuses on startup - I got bitten by this
> myself.

I agree - I have myself ran into this problem. I'd previously e-mailed the
list about a suggested change but got no feedback and eventually forgot about
it. I've attached the message afterwards, if you think what I suggest is
reasonable I'll go ahead and write a patch to do so.

Regards,

 -Colin

Hello,

I had a proposal about changing the safemode default behaviour.

Instead of automatically changing the fuses, perhaps it should ask if it
should revert the fuses.

The reason I mention this is I had a VERY sketchy programming setup, very
unreliable. However safemode read the fuses at the beginning of the run, and
all times they got reported as 0x00. At the end of the program attempt they
worked again, and read as their real values. But then they got changed to
0x00..

As soon as I saw safemode report that the fuses were read as 0x00 I new I was
screwed, as it is fairly easy to see that 0x00 is not a valid read pattern.
So if the user was asked what to do it could let them figure out that the
fuses shouldn't be changed. I guess I really have no one to blame but myself
for not using that behaviour originally, I just didn't think of it ;-)

Then there could be an option to not ask at all, and just change them back for
batch files.

Regards,

 -Colin