Re: [avrdude-dev] BETA Release is now available - please test (was: Good

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] BETA Release is now available - please test (was: Good news: STK500v2 and JTAG ICE mkII code committed to CVS)
Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 23:37:26 +0200

As Colin O'Flynn wrote:

> First off - get_sync doesn't work for me:
>       avrdude: stk500v2_getsync(): can't communicate with device: resp=0x01

I've seen that too on an STK500v2.  I've mentioned it in my initial
message to the list: someone needs to track that with Atmel
(address@hidden).  Sorry, the STK500v2 code is not mine, and I'm
completely swamped in the JTAG mkII work (trying to convince AVaRICE
to talk to it, too).  The above appears to me one of those genuine
documentation bugs in the Atmel docs, because as you noticed:

> After that it gets the signature bytes OK.

The remainder of the communication works.  Response code 0x01 is not
documented as a valid response to the getsync command though (it isn't
listed as a valid response for anything at all).

> However programming/reading memory is unreliable. If safemode is
> enabled it seems to complain about an unreliable programmer. ...

>       0.03savrdude: stk500v2_paged_write: write command failed with 128

128 = 0x80 = STATUS_CMD_TOUT

This looks to me like the AVRISP were complaining about a timeout in
its communication to your host.

I have not observed such in my tests, but I did only have limited time
available to test the STK500v2 patch.  Anyway, my tests (downloading
demo.hex, and running it) did work.  This was on a Linux box, using
one of the on-board serial ports.  I don't remember the line speed,
but I think I didn't change anything in that respect in my setup.

Perhaps I'll see to upgrade an AVRISP to a 2.x firmware, too, to make
some more tests with that code.