Re: [avrdude-dev] BETA Release is now available - please test (was: Good

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] BETA Release is now available - please test (was: Good news: STK500v2 and JTAG ICE mkII code committed to CVS)
Date: Sun, 15 May 2005 13:25:46 +0200

As Colin O'Flynn wrote:

> Then there could be an option to not ask at all, and just change
> them back for batch files.

When reading about your trouble, I've also got the idea about asking
the user.

What about the following algorithm:

. if stdin is a tty, default to safemode, and if the fuses had been
  changed, ask the user about a decision upon exit; can be turned
  off using -u

. if stdin is not a tty, default to !safemode, and don't do anything
  with the fuses unless the user specified so (batch mode)

. perhaps, add an option to enable safemode if stdin is not a tty,
  but given your trouble reports, I'm not so sure about the real
  value of that feature

Question to the Win32 users: would

        if (isatty(fileno(stdin))) {
        }

work on Win32?  The Unix manuals document isatty() as being a Unix V7
function.  If that doesn't work, we'd need a different method on Win32
to detect whether standard input is a terminal.