Re: [avrdude-dev] Good news: STK500v2 and JTAG ICE mkII code committed t

From: Colin O'Flynn
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] Good news: STK500v2 and JTAG ICE mkII code committed to CVS
Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 10:25:46 -0400

Hello,

> Is the dW interface also capable of flashing an entire ROM?  I don't
> have the slightest clues about dW so far.  If it's possible to use
> that, it's probably no big effort to extend the code for this.  As I
> read it, the ICE's command interface for both would be the same, only
> one value changes where you decide which mode the ICE is set into
> after signing on.  This is now hardcoded to JTAG mode, but it's
> probably easy enough to change that into a config file parameter.

Hmm.. while it's similar to JTAG. One of the differences is though that you
need to enable DW mode first, which requires SPI if the fuse isn't set. So
you use the limited SPI interface of the MK-II to enable the DW fuse then use
DW to download code, then disable the DW fuse.

Of course though you can also just enable the DW fuse once, then disable it
later. The interface is a bit trickier because if you enable the DW fuse you
cannot use SPI for programming, so you need to remember to disable it!

Anyway the DW interface actually isn't used in AVRStudio to download code.
However it is capable of it, but it is more of a debug interface. However
only using one line to download code can be useful in development so you
don't have any load on the SPI lines.

Regards,

  -Colin