Re: [avrdude-dev] avrdude and REALLY SLOW programming

From: Brian Dean
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] avrdude and REALLY SLOW programming
Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 20:09:06 -0400

Hi Dennis,

On Sat, May 14, 2005 at 10:37:23PM -0700, Dennis Clark wrote:

> I've got the most recent non-BETA Avrdude and I've a
> question for folks out there.  On occasion I'll download
> a program that instead of taking 10 seconds to D/L, it
> takes over 2 minutes.  Everything works fine, it just takes
> an order of magnitude longer to D/L.
>
> I'll have to quite AVRdude, unplug my AVR/ISP, restart everything
> basically, and then it'll be normal again for a while.  Can anyone
> shed some light on just what is happening and how I can avoid
> causing this problem?

What programmer and OS are you using?  I think you are using Windows,
but which version?

My STK500 sometimes gets in a very slow mode.  I've noticed it happen
on a few occasions, and each time, I was messing with the power
supply.  I was actually testing another circuit and "forgot" I was
powering the STK500 from the same supply.  I was testing brown-out and
slowly decreasing the voltage, down to zero.  When I brought the
voltage back up, the STK500 worked fine, but it was just really,
really slow.  The solution was to re-flash the firmware on the STK500
and after that it resumed its normal speedy self.

-Brian
--
Brian Dean
BDMICRO - ATmega128 Based MAVRIC Controllers