Re: [avrdude-dev] How to add I2C device disable preamble?

From: Bob Paddock
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] How to add I2C device disable preamble?
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2007 12:11:50 -0400

Something like:

preinit = "reset low; mosi high; sck high; wait 200;\
           sck low; wait 100; mosi low; wait 10; mosi high; \
          ...";

I'll have to look to see what the exact I2C sequence
would have to be.  Also it changes between manufactures
of the Accelerometers.

One issue with that is that it would only be applicable to bit-bang
programmers, where avrdude handles the entire communication by itself.

I use a PonyProg clone, so bit-banging
is not a problem.  40 cents to replaces the chip,
verses $30 to replace a AVRISP, which seemed
to last about six months before they fail.
Maybe they are better now, have not used
them regularly for a few years.

For a completely different route, couldn't you build one of those ISP
programmers that implement STK500 protocol but use their own micro to
run the bit-banging?

I had not thought of that, but that would mean more hardware
to maintain.