Re: [avrdude-dev] How to add I2C device disable preamble?

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] How to add I2C device disable preamble?
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2007 20:56:58 +0200

As Bob Paddock wrote:

> >Yet another idea: how about pre-programming the bootloader into the
> >AVR, before soldering it into the PCB?

> They also get really funny looks on their face when I suggest
> spending ~$10k on something like a BPMicro programmer.

I merely thought about a ZIF or alike socket to hook up the AVR in the
lab, and then have a standard programmer talk to it.  I have no idea
about what case option you are talking here, but I can't imagine you'd
have to fork out several kUSD for such a thing.  I think they *are*
expensive when it comes to more exotic cases, but probably still in a
range with three digits (IOW, about the costs of one engineer per day
or the like).

If you decide to hack avrdude for that, then I'm only willing to
accept that as a patch for the official tree if it is generic enough
so every user could configure the actual pre-init sequence in their rc
file.