Re: [avrdude-dev] How to add I2C device disable preamble?

From: Bob Paddock
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] How to add I2C device disable preamble?
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2007 13:40:46 -0400

On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 12:24:49 -0400, Joerg Wunsch <address@hidden> wrote:

Cost of 100,000 4066's start to add up to real money,
especially when you only need them once (use bootloader
after program is loaded). :-)

Yet another idea: how about pre-programming the bootloader into the
AVR, before soldering it into the PCB?  It needs a bit of extra
equipment, but that should pay out at that amount of devices.  It also
saves you from having any equipment to ISP-program the final PCB.

There is a threshold that Management Magic uses to decide
at what point they are willing to pay to have the chips come
from the vendor programmed.  Usually someplace in
the 3k to 10k range.  Below that magic point we still
have to do them here, they won't pay the setup fees
before that point is reached.  They also get really
funny looks on their face when I suggest spending
~$10k on something like a BPMicro programmer.