[avrdude-dev] [bug #41561] AVRDUDE 6.0.1/USBasp doesn't write first byte

From: Randy Perkins
Subject: [avrdude-dev] [bug #41561] AVRDUDE 6.0.1/USBasp doesn't write first bytes of flash page
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2014 06:33:02 +0000

Follow-up Comment #17, bug #41561 (project avrdude):

Maybe this issue is related to the hardware we are using

I did some more testing and on one of my computers I was able to vary (but not
eliminate) the number of bytes that werent written correctly by slowing down
the programming using the -B option to avrdude.

I was wondering if the changes made by r1007 (memory tagging) made the timing
of the programming more critical.  Along the same lines I was wondering if the
function USBASP_FUNC_WRITEFLASH was utilized twice (when the error happens)
for a single page could be caused by timing problems.

The M64 board that I have is the same one that the OP and the other reporter
has.  This is not a M64 on a breadboard.  It is part of an RC radio that was
not designed to be reprogrammed.  There is circuitry on the miso and mosi
lines.  those lines are used as a switch input during normal MCU execution.
http://openrcforums.com/forum/download/file.php?id=3075

We have had trouble in the past reprogramming these boards using usbasp's that
had a relatively large resistor used as series limiter on the programming
lines.

I wanted to put this out before you spent too much time chasing down an M64.
Tomorrow I will investigate purchasing an M64 and building a M64 on a
breadboard or finding a inexpensive dev board with an M64.  Any advice
regarding an inexpensive dev board with an m64 would be appreciated.

thanks

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?41561>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/