bbdb-user

Re: encrypt `bbdb-file-remote'

From: Roland Winkler
Subject: Re: encrypt `bbdb-file-remote'
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2022 11:04:36 -0500

On Mon, Mar 28 2022, Sam Steingold wrote:
> Uploading the huge bbdb file on _every save_ will introduce a highly
> unwelcome latency.

So I assume you have bbdb-file-remote-save-always bound to nil,
which means BBDB asks to save the remote file.
Isn't it equally annoying if almost always you need to say "no, do not
save the remote file"?

> I don't use `bbdb-file-remote' (because it is unencrypted) anyway.

I am confused.  You started this thread by saying

> I want to keep `bbdb-file-remote' encrypted.

Now you say you do not use `bbdb-file-remote'.  So it's not quite clear
to me for which usage pattern you are seeking a solution in what way.
It seems to me that all this is so specialized that it really falls
outside the BBDB machinery.

(It still seems to me that the bbdb-file-remote machinery could be
declared obsolete and your particular use case would find a better
solution, say, using `bbdb-after-save-hook' when you can do whatever you
like.)