bbdb-user

Re: encrypt `bbdb-file-remote'

From: Sam Steingold
Subject: Re: encrypt `bbdb-file-remote'
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2022 13:24:26 -0400

> * Roland Winkler <jvaxyre@tah.bet> [2022-03-28 11:04:36 -0500]:
>
> On Mon, Mar 28 2022, Sam Steingold wrote:
>> Uploading the huge bbdb file on _every save_ will introduce a highly
>> unwelcome latency.
>
> So I assume you have bbdb-file-remote-save-always bound to nil,
> which means BBDB asks to save the remote file.
> Isn't it equally annoying if almost always you need to say "no, do not
> save the remote file"?

Probably. As I said, I was not even aware of `bbdb-file-remote' until
recently (or probably I forgot about it after finding it inconvenient).

>> I don't use `bbdb-file-remote' (because it is unencrypted) anyway.
>
> I am confused.  You started this thread by saying
>
>> I want to keep `bbdb-file-remote' encrypted.

I meant "`bbdb-file-remote'-like functionality".

> So it's not quite clear to me for which usage pattern you are seeking
> a solution in what way.

I download the remote encrypted file from `gnus-before-startup-hook' and
upload it from `gnus-after-exiting-gnus-hook' (together with
`gnus-startup-file').

--
Sam Steingold (http://sds.podval.org/) on darwin Ns 10.3.2113
http://childpsy.net http://calmchildstories.com http://steingoldpsychology.com