Re: [linuxiran] Fedora installation (help needed)

From: Aryan Ameri
Subject: Re: [linuxiran] Fedora installation (help needed)
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2004 20:17:26 +0300

On Sunday 28 March 2004 11:37, Nasim Mafi wrote:
> Salam
>
> Thanks.
>
> I had just one more question. Let me describe the situation I have!
>
> My monitor is Acer V551 and is not listed under the monitor types. I
> have found out that Acer55e works fine. However if I leave the
> monitor type to Generic type and don't specify any types, then I
> won't be able to have 1024*768 resolution.
>
> My VGA is ATI Rage 128 Pro (Ultra GL) and is known within VGA types.
>
> I had installed Chromium on my computer before (when I had Redhat 8)
> and the graphics of the game where displayed very well.  But now, I
> can't play any more! :(
>
> During the installation (Fedora installation) I was trying to find
> the monitor type which worked with my monitor. (I had forgotten the
> proper type!) I removed the /etc/X11/XF86config file and run
> #redhat-config-xfree86.
>
> Now I don't have the quality of graphics of the game! The motions are
> blinking. That's why I want to install Fedora again! This time I want
> to specify the type of my monitor during the installation process. I
> guessed it may work if I do that.  The question is: can I specify the
> monitor type if I use anaconda-ks.cfg or not?
>
> Sincerely,
>
> N. Mafi

Apparently, you are too used to the mothodes of Windows.
In Unix, if your X isn't configured correctly, you just have to
reconfigure X, which for XFree86 means editing /etc/X11/XF86Config-4
You don't have to reinstall your distro again!! C'mon!!

Anyway, I don't know about your specific card, but first, check that
your have DRI nd GLX enabled in your config file.

If you can't read the file, paste a copy of your XF86Config-4 file here.
Someone (maybe I?) might be able to help you in it's editing.

'man Xf86Config' should also provide you with good information.

Don't forget, if your X isn't working as you want it, you dont' have to
reinstall the OS. You just have to play with that config file, to get
it to work. Always make a copy of the file, and the start playing with
it. If you really screw it up, the worst is, you will just rename the
backup file, and Halloa! you are back.

What is the version of Xfree86 in Fedora?

Totaly unrelated, but to answer your question: if I underestand anaconda
correctly, if you use anaconda-ks.cfg, you won't be able to specify any
settings. It will just use the old configuration. It's not gonna help
your situation at all. Again, cause you don't need to reinstall.

Just paste a copy of your X config file here. Also go to Xfree86.org and
check the driver section. There are usually advices there as to what
driver to use for what card/monitor.

Cheers

--
<!--  People can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That
is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and

Aryan Ameri