Re: [Chicken-hackers] Ogre 3D engine

From: Brandon J. Van Every
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] Ogre 3D engine
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 17:17:01 -0800

felix winkelmann wrote:
On 2/26/07, Brandon J. Van Every <address@hidden> wrote:

I'm trying to remember why the Stormfront Studios guys blew off Lua.
Something about it being slow or hard to debug.  I asked whether what
was true when they made that decision, was still true today.  Time
passes in open source land and technologies improve.

Yes, I would be interested about that too (why they didn't use Lua).

I do recall that Lua was too piggish for Playstation2 work back in the day. Wasn't good for low memory consoles.

The Stormfront Studios guys made it clear that lack of a debugger is a major major minus as far as they are concerned. Their own scripting language didn't have one, and they felt a need to write one. I think the reason they'll put themselves through that pain and suffering, is they already suffered to write their own language. Sort of a "throwing good money after bad" situation if you ask me. I thought they rejected Lua partly due to debugging issues. I think it's very hard to get industry types to pay attention to languages that lack debuggers. People did it with Python once upon a time, back in 2002. Humongous Entertainment's solution was to write a debugger for Python. I don't know what Python's debugging status is anymore, or Ruby's or Lua's for that matter.

Or was it just hard to debug? Maybe that's what they said. Wonder why it would be hard.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every