[Chicken-hackers] Re: separate build directory support for Chicken

From: Aleksej Saushev
Subject: [Chicken-hackers] Re: separate build directory support for Chicken
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2008 22:58:13 +0300

Elf <address@hidden> writes:

> http://keramida.wordpress.com/2007/12/04/bmake-call-for-developers/
>
> this is about the fifth differing bmake ive run across.  none of which seems
> to be particularly well supported outside of the particular bsd in which
> it was written.  most of which seem to be pre-alpha.  very few
> of which seem to be 100% compat with each other.  explain to me
> why this would be a win?

bmake is supported on: NetBSD, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, OSF/1, Tru64,
HP-UX, AIX, Solaris, Mac OS X, Windows NT, Linux.
I myself used it on: NetBSD, FreeBSD, Windows NT, Linux.

Anyway, you drive discussion into unrelevant area.

Do you think that pmake or bmake is called that way in BSDs?
It is called "make", and GNU make is called "gmake".
Maybe we could look through ancient 20-25 years old trash and
found several another gmakes. Besides, gmake is well supported
only on GNU systems, you have to build it manually elsewhere
and make sure it doesn't conflict with native make.
So, your point doesn't matter.

In contrast, BSD make is supported on same range of platforms
and comes with build and package system, GNU doesn't provide either,
you have to build and to maintain installations manually.
But that doesn't matter here too.

What matters, is proposed conversion to GNU autotools and
GNU srcdir way.