SCM issues (Re: [Chicken-hackers] TinyCLOS 'examples' install path?)

From: Vincent Manis
Subject: SCM issues (Re: [Chicken-hackers] TinyCLOS 'examples' install path?)
Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2008 19:13:39 -0800

I'd like to suggest two changes to the release management process that
would make everyone's life easier.

1. Change the numbering system so that it includes a serial `build number'; thus release 3.0.2 might be renumbered as 3.0.2/1073 (I chose the slash so that a build number wouldn't look like a `subminor' release number, but I
don't care about the syntax.

Objection: Microsoft does it this way. Response: yes, but as the saying
goes, `Even a stopped clock is right twice a day.'

2. Consider Chicken itself to be an egg. No, I don't mean some sort of
weird meta-thinginess involving building via chicken-setup, but just
initialize the repository when Chicken is installed to hold one egg,
for the system itself. Then eggs that care about the chicken version
can declare a dependency on that particular version, just as they would
for any other egg.

Thoughts? -- v