demexp-dev

Re: [Demexp-dev] And now, what for demexp--dev--0.7?

From: Thomas Petazzoni
Subject: Re: [Demexp-dev] And now, what for demexp--dev--0.7?
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 00:14:47 +0200

Hi,

David MENTRE a écrit :

> Yes, but as I don't specially find the current interface particularly
> user friendly and as I am the main developer of it, I assume that a new
> user would be lost in front of it. A good UI doesn't need a user manual.

Actually, I'm not sure that any of the demexp GUI will be usable without
reading a manual. Demexp has various concepts unknown to many people,
and one can't really use a software without understanding the underlying
concepts. It's even more important for a voting software, in which your
actions are important, as they "engage" yourself.

Of course, nowadays, switching to a new word processor, web browser,
e-mail client is quite easy, because you know the concepts behind these
applications. However, if you want to start using The Gimp or Blender,
or some other tool specific to an area you're not used to, you won't be
able to really use these softwares without reading a bit of documentation.

I think the primary goal could be an *efficient* GUI rather than a
*intuitive* GUI. Take Blender as an example again: for the newcomer,
it's not really intuitive. However, once one understood the idea of the
tool, it's use is getting more and more efficient. So should demexp be ;-)

Sincerly,

Thomas
--
PETAZZONI Thomas - address@hidden