demexp-dev

Re: [Demexp-dev] And now, what for demexp--dev--0.7?

From: skaller
Subject: Re: [Demexp-dev] And now, what for demexp--dev--0.7?
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 10:35:38 +1000

On Tue, 2005-08-09 at 18:53 +0200, David MENTRE wrote:
> Hello John,
>
> skaller <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > It is not as bad as you think. Do not assume 'newbie' users
> > are dumb people :)
>
> Yes, but as I don't specially find the current interface particularly
> user friendly and as I am the main developer of it, I assume that a new
> user would be lost in front of it.

You are biased *because* you're the developer.

> A good UI doesn't need a user manual.

I managed to use it, without a manual. I had more
problems connecting to the server than navigating
once I was connected.

To be honest, I didn't spend all that much time browsing --
everything was written in French on the database .. :)

However I did find one question I could respond to,
and responded to it ...

.. note that this implies I was able to browse for
something that 'interested' me and enter a response.

Now, as you know, I am a pretty critical person, especially
when it comes to software. OK, I'm biased here because
I happen to think e-Politic protocols and software are
VASTLY more important to the future of the world than
anything else .. one can even ignore George Bush thinking
David Mentre is more significant... :)

> Installing a server is not that difficult (but the binary somewhere and
> launch it). It is just that I never had time to write a doc.

I run 64 bit architecture .. most servers these days won't be x86 ..

> > To maintain session state, php may be the way to go,
> > since most web sites have Apache with php_mod installed:
> > this is better than CGI.
>
> I'm not fond of PHP, despite I recognize it is quite easy to develop web
> apps with it.

I am not fond of PHP either :) However that isn't the point.
If you want people to USE efficient service software it HAS to be
written in PHP simply because there is no alternative.

Sourceforge, for example, provides Apache with mod_php,
so you can do server side scripting (not CGI). Although
Python is available as a shell tool to CGI, you cannot
use server side Python scripts.

So for server side scripting, there just isn't any alternative:
most hosting facilities provide PHP and nothing else.

However, CGI is quite acceptable where the load isn't
high, and we can assume that for the moment.

> AFAIK, description of Cordorcet voting never speak about delegation.

OK, that leaves considerable freedom.

--
John Skaller <skaller at users dot sourceforge dot net>