Re: How to convert complex float file to complex int 16 in Gnuradio For

From: David Cherkus
Subject: Re: How to convert complex float file to complex int 16 in Gnuradio For USRP input...
Date: Sat, 9 Jul 2022 18:30:48 +0000 (UTC)

https://wiki.gnuradio.org/index.php/Complex_To_IShort  describes what is going on in your flowgraph.

You are not producing complex int16, you are producing a stream of int16 whose values happen to be alternating int16 real and imaginary parts of the input complex floating point numbers.

Most drivers tend to "normalize" their output so it is in the range -1.0..+1.0, and that is probably what you are feeding into the Complex to IShort block.

Therefore if you go directly to int16 without scaling (for instance, multiplying by 32*1024) you will probably get 0 as the output, since converting most numbers in range -1.0..+1.0 to int16 results in 0.