dotgnu-auth

Re: [Auth]Impressions of XNS

From: Norbert Bollow
Subject: Re: [Auth]Impressions of XNS
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 16:33:33 +0200

David Sugar <address@hidden> wrote:

> I never objected to a centralized authentication scheme, just to having
> only one authentication authority, or one that could not be deployed
> freely on free software by anyone at any level at any location.  If I
> can run a server at home and can have it be my authentication
> "authority" for my family, and have it keep my "identity" information at
> home, then I believe the essential goals of DotGNU are effectivily met.

I agree... and according to what the XNSORG folks tell me, this
will be possible with XNS.

Other good news is

- they (claim to) have working code, which they plan to release
  under GPL (plus another license that is designed to make
  proprietary companies happy as well)

- their code is in Java (for which support is a priority in
  DotGNU anyway.)

>  If only a single vendor, a privileged "vendor", a specific group of
> vendors, or "organization" can run authentication or hold identity
> information for me, and the methods of operation involve trade secrets
> or source secret systems running on proprietary software, then I believe
> no "liberty" has been achieved and such systems do not meet any of our
> goals.

Yes.

> With that, I think it is possible to establish a reasonable "means" test
> for determining if XNS does meet our goals, either in part or in full,
> in this area.

Agreed.

Greetings, Norbert.

--
A member of FreeDevelopers and the DotGNU Steering Committee: dotgnu.org
Tel +41 1 972 20 59       Fax +41 1 972 20 69      http://thinkcoach.com