dotgnu-auth

Re: [Auth]Impressions of XNS

From: Rhys Weatherley
Subject: Re: [Auth]Impressions of XNS
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2001 08:38:00 +1000

Norbert Bollow wrote:

> Here are some impressions of XNS, see http://www.xns.org
>
> I haven't seen their code, but apparantly they have a good,
> carefully-designed architecture, and they've implemented it in
> Java.

XNS certainly looks interesting.  But my opinion right now is:

     Show me the spec!  (In my best Tom Cruise voice :-) )

It is difficult to evaluate how this will help us until we can
see the protocol.  Source code is not sufficient, as we will
probably need to build our own implementation for non-Java
systems.  But source code would be a start, and that isn't
available yet either.  At least not on the Web site.

Does anyone have pointers to actual specifications and
not FAQ's?  I have some experience pulling specs apart to
get at their real pros and cons.  But I need the spec first.

Cheers,

Rhys.