dotgnu-auth

Re: [Auth]Third Meeting of DotGNU dg-auth-wg

From: David Sugar
Subject: Re: [Auth]Third Meeting of DotGNU dg-auth-wg
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2002 15:31:08 -0400

Very simple.  I ask somebody to give me a name for himself, and he speaks a
name, call it "X".  I can authenticate this "X" because I can determine it is
the same "X" that said he was "X" the last time I asked him, without knowing
who "X" really is.  I then ask someone else to ask him his name.  He calls
himself "Y" to this other person.  This other person can authenticate him the
second time because he can determine it is the same "Y" that was "Y".  So, I
have this person I know as "X" and he has "Y".  So long as no correlative
information has been shared with both of us, there is no way I can externally
prove my "X" is his "Y", but I can authenticate him, and that's all I need to
do :).