Re: [Fwd: [DotGNU]A good warning?] and Do we have any law people around

From: fitzix
Subject: Re: [Fwd: [DotGNU]A good warning?] and Do we have any law people around for FD?
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 11:33:18 -0400

David Sugar wrote:

> RMS can offer an ethical opinion, but he cannot offer a "legal" opinion on
> something.  I have met Moglen, who is certainly one of free software's
> greatest resources.  However, I have no idea whatsoever of what time and
> availability he would even have to help FD.  I am sure many of our issues do
> touch upon issues he currently handles for the FSF, and perhaps in that regard
> we might be able to share some things.  Finally, he does make what limited
> time he can to answer questions personally from people.  In particular, I am
> also concerned about the legal risks and needs in DotGNU to handle cleanly the
> development of a runtime implimentation and I would love it if we could have
> feedback from somebody like him on those issues.
>
> David

Well, to me, some of the things that Microsoft is doing sound almost
illegal.  Of course, there are many loopholes, but some of these things
SHOULD be illegal on very principle.

In any case, from the ZDNet article, it sounds like we're going to have
to wait until MS decides on it's licensing for the ECMA standard of
CLI... I suspect now that they know we exist, they will try to squash us
with this.

        -Barry