Re: [DotGNU]Bending the twig of .NET (large -- sorry)

From: Martin Coxall
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Bending the twig of .NET (large -- sorry)
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 15:26:19 +0100

> That is not to say it's a particulary new or "innovate" technology.  CLR is
> in fact an old technology and Microsoft's approach is a somewhat poor
> implimentation in some regards.  For this reason we should look at
> supporting and integrating other VM based environments (like say Java) as
> also usable from the DotGNU framework.

The evidence suggest that you believe the above because you want to believe
the above, rather than because it's actually true. If we want to "embrace and
extend" what Microsoft has achieved, we have to learn to set aside our petty
prejudices and realise that Microsoft has a strong, well-engineered and
completely open development platform, designed to be suprior to java by some
very smart people, and that we are better placed trying to implement it
rather than slagging it off.

The "like say Java" comment suggests that you are intentionally ignoring the
real technical merits of the Virtual Execution System vs other virtual
machines. Read the Mono Runtime pages for more information. In fact, it looks
even betters still when we consider the legal benefits (open standard vs Sun
licensing bollocks encumbered JVM).

Let's not be so dismissive of a technology that will form a very fundamental
wodge of project Mono's heart. Best that Mono and dotGNU work together IMHO.

---
Martin
---

"Where laughing and smiling are not allowed"