RE: [DotGNU]third draft for FD press release

From: Serge Wroclawski
Subject: RE: [DotGNU]third draft for FD press release
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 14:49:10 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 11 Jul 2001, Tony  Stanco wrote:

> Serge,
>
> what are you talking about this time? Every few months you come to the
> list, flame it, disagree with something or other, or someone or other,
> then go away for a few months without adding anything constructive. We
> are all still waiting for your grand software development scheme you
> promised last time.

I worked on it- then made a realization...

This isn't going to work with the current scheme.

At least I don't see any vision. I see grandiose words and talk about
freedom, Free Software, the US constitution, but before I commit any huge
amount of my time
into something, I want to know things I've still to see from FD, like a
buisness plan, or a mechanism for customers to make requests, or

> This is the reason you never like how things get done here. Free
> development isn't about closed lists, signed papers, encryption and
> notices. Its about people working together freely and openly towards a
> common goal. It is not about excluding people. It is about including
> them.

If you believe that everything, everything should be free, Tony, please do
everyone on the list a favor by please sending us the locations of your
boxen, the services they run, and the root password.

There's a distinction between internal workings and public information.
It's also nobody's damn buisness what I ate for breakfast, what books I
read, who I choose to have sex with, etc.

I can still be as capable as anyone else to write Free Software without
divulging everything, and I can also write Free Software while keeping
things private.

Concerning signed papers, the FSF has procedures in place which sometimes
require signed papers- it's part of the issue of legal responsibility.

Closed lists, encryption and one to one conversations are ways in which
people can work without public scrutiy. Not everything needs to be out in
the open.

 I wasn't at the DC LUG meeting you spoke at recently but I heard you
got treated pretty poorly from the people there.

The real issue is not that the people don't believe in Free Software.
Many of them have been contributors for years and years. Many of us use
the software DC LUGers have written daily, it's that people don't see
cohesive and _realistic_ mechanisms in place from this organization.

Rather than flaming ME, why not take a look at what's going on and see
what you can do to make thing happen in such a way that sucess will be the
result.

I don't bother posting becuase I have nothing to say. I have no problem
helping out when I see something comming out of it.

Until then, I have a full time job, my own projects, and my leisure time.
When I see FD doing something interesting, I'll join in.

- Serge Wroclawski