Re: [DotGNU]third draft for FD press release

From: Grant Gross
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]third draft for FD press release
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 07:54:25 -0700 (PDT)

--- Norbert Bollow <address@hidden> wrote:

> I certainly have not made any promise of exclusitivy
> concerning
> this press release.  Probably nobody did.
>
> When the media wants an exclusive interview, or an
> exclusive
> anything, they should pay for it (and thereby help
> funding Free
> Software developement).

Ummm, so what you're saying is the media should look
like its playing favorites by paying for some
interviews? I think there are a lot of reasons to give
someone an "exclusive," including that the reporter
asked first and the news site has done a good job
covering your issues in the past. But paying for an
interview isn't likely to happen anytime soon,
especially in this economy where dot-coms are
struggling to make ends meet. If NewsForge had to pay
for all its exclusives, there wouldn't be a NewsForge
around very long. Isn't giving a project wider
publicity essentially supporting Free Software
development?

As for promises of exclusivity, perhaps I can clear
the issue up. Last week, I got wind of the DotGNU
project and wanted to do a story, so I sent my
questions to this list. Tony, who was busy in France,
asked me to hold off a couple of days as some issues
were sorted out, and I agreed. In the meantime, the
Free Software Foundation kind of scooped us all by
issuing the press release Monday, so my story, which
at first looked like an exclusive, didn't look so much
like one anymore.

I was a bit annoyed at first that Tony asked me to
hold off, then later realized that everyone was
surprised by the FSF press release. So I wrote like
hell to get my story done Monday evening. :-)

So all's well that ends well.

Grant
NewsForge.com