RE: [DotGNU]third draft for FD press release

From: Radhakrishnan CV
Subject: RE: [DotGNU]third draft for FD press release
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 14:30:14 +0530 (IST)

On Wed, 11 Jul 2001 at 14:49, Serge Wroclawski wrote:

   On Wed, 11 Jul 2001, Tony  Stanco wrote:

   > Serge,
   >
   > what are you talking about this time? Every few months you come to the
   > list, flame it, disagree with something or other, or someone or other,
   > then go away for a few months without adding anything constructive. We
   > are all still waiting for your grand software development scheme you
   > promised last time.

   I worked on it- then made a realization...

   This isn't going to work with the current scheme.

Could you enlighten us with your realization? A little more
explanation why it wont work with the current scheme.

   At least I don't see any vision. I see grandiose words and

Well, you're free to pronounce one if you dont find one in FD.

   talk about freedom, Free Software, the US constitution, but
   before I commit any huge amount of my time into something, I
   want to know things I've still to see from FD, like a buisness
   plan, or a mechanism for customers to make requests, or

Please come to FD-Structure1 and give your business plan. If you
dont have anything, then what you're doing now is a huge waste
of *your* time.

   > This is the reason you never like how things get done here. Free
   > development isn't about closed lists, signed papers, encryption and
   > notices. Its about people working together freely and openly towards a
   > common goal. It is not about excluding people. It is about including
   > them.

   If you believe that everything, everything should be free,
   Tony, please do everyone on the list a favor by please sending
   us the locations of your boxen, the services they run, and the
   root password.

That is mere logic that doesn't deserve an answer.

   There's a distinction between internal workings and public
   information. It's also nobody's damn buisness what I ate for
   breakfast, what books I read, who I choose to have sex with,
   etc.

Agreed

   I can still be as capable as anyone else to write Free
   Software without divulging everything, and I can also write
   Free Software while keeping things private.

That is your choice, that necessarily doesn't mean that everyone
should follow your model.

   Concerning signed papers, the FSF has procedures in place
   which sometimes require signed papers- it's part of the issue
   of legal responsibility.

This is applicable wherever it is appropriate, but obviously not
when the community is writing a press release with a collective
conscience.

   Closed lists, encryption and one to one conversations are ways
   in which people can work without public scrutiy. Not
   everything needs to be out in the open.

The current context doesn't warrant it.

   The real issue is not that the people don't believe in Free
   Software. Many of them have been contributors for years and
   years. Many of us use the software DC LUGers have written
   daily, it's that people don't see cohesive and _realistic_
   mechanisms in place from this organization.

It is not that people at large believe in this way, precisely it is
what you believe about FD and in all the fairness you have a
rightfull choice of belief. But things are happening in a brighter
way in other parts of the globe so far as FD is concerned, but as
you said earlier, those things are still kept away from public
scrutiny/knowledge for reasons you know well.

   Rather than flaming ME, why not take a look at what's going on
   and see what you can do to make thing happen in such a way
   that sucess will be the result.

This will happen only when people like you join the efforts instead
of nitpicking.

   I don't bother posting becuase I have nothing to say. I have

That is the point -- you've nothing to say. Now you got to say,
because your friend lost a chance to carry an exclusive story and
surely one is duty bound to help one's friend.

   Until then, I have a full time job, my own projects, and my
   leisure time. When I see FD doing something interesting, I'll
   join in.

Always welcome.

--
Radhakrishnan